Perfect 10

 I've been going out with Susan Garnett for 10 years today. We don't go out, obviously. We're old and square. We potter around the house. We have a shed now. Sometimes we potter about in there. This week we've been painting the living room a slightly lighter, bluer shade of green. Previously it was a darker, greener sea-green. I say we, but it's been Susan, really. I've been doing Zoom calls and dental examinations, while she's been making the house look nicer. She's amazing.  

Tomorrow I'll be cooking poulet au citron et lavande and pouring a Vouvray, and drinking most of it as Susan doesn't drink much anymore. I've bought her a couple of rubbish gifts and we'll sit down and watch a cosy mystery together in our blue green room. An oasis of calm. The seat of our happiness. Sometimes we think we might move away, maybe back to England. But leaving this place and this life we've made together - I dunno, man. I dunno. It rains all the time. There are some scary fuckers out there. People still do impressions of my accent after a decade. But I don't know - here in this quiet little house with her seems like the best place in the world. The Fortress of Sillytude. Ten years of happiness. You don't get many of those in life. 

Love you, Sweet Girl. 



 

Comments

Popular Posts