Men in Black

 Don't worry this isn't another brilliant hot take on Will Smith slapping a man at the Oscars. If that's what you're after you are going to LOVE Twitter. 

I'm in the black suit this time. It's another family funeral. The fourth in something like six months. Maybe slightly longer than that, but far less than a year. It's Greta Hannon, my mum's cousin, which makes her my first cousin, once removed. I visited her a couple of times, as she lives in Belfast, and she was nice. But I didn't visit her more than a couple of times - I'm pretty bad at keeping up with family. It's not very Irish of me. 

Four deaths in just a couple of seasons. They were all pretty old (my mum was the baby, as she always was, at 80. Leo would have been a hundred this year, and Greta, his sister, can't have been far behind). I wasn't able to get to Leo's funeral in London, because of Covid. But tomorrow I'm representing for the Basingstoke Higginses. If that is our plural. 

I got that black suit for my fiftieth birthday, figuring I was about to get a fair amount of use out of it. I was right. Every time I have to put it on my family shrinks. 

Comments

Popular Posts