The Wettening.

Thirty one days and nights in the desert. It is not for me to compare my life to the life of Christ but, I tell you solemnly, I'm as dry as Jesus' moccasin.



And its over. At the chimes of midnight tonight I will uncork a delicious bottle of South African red and watch The Stone Tape or similar, very much after the manner of a pig in shit.

I've raised £800 for MacMillan's through the simple expediency of going to earth for a month, and it is all down to other people's generosity. Thank you to all of you who donated, or donated twice or shared or spread awareness of this tiny sacrifice. I'm amazed by the generosity of my friends and their friends and even the strangers who have donated. Its been thrillingly life affirming.

I'm not going to lie: I've quite often enjoyed being sober. I've got quite a bit of work done. I've got quite a bit of sleeping done. I've started painting again and I've lost half an ounce in weight. So these are all good things that I'd like to keep up. I like to think that I've broken that Northern European cycle of celebrating each victory or quashing each failure by drinking so much that my face melts. But I'm not a fool. Its deep in the bones. Its entrenched in our society. We swim in it.

But I'm hoping this will help me drink less. And to be more healthy generally. It was a good, cleansing thing to do.

And now to embark of a brief self-spoiling holiday. Fuck it all. I'm getting fucked up.

PS While MacMillan are great and do phenomenal work, the Go Sober Team...not so much. You came on a bit strong guys. I know competition is supposed to be healthy and everything but fund raising isn't sports day. I don't need a leader board. I don't need to know the zany fucking antics of the guys from Actuarial in order to spur me on. I don't work in your office. There's no promotion in the offing. Equally I'm not doing it for the sake of the school; I don't need the equivalent of a mustachioed man in old skool trackies calling me useless and blowing a whistle.

Its a bit of a turn off. Also I don't need you to write letters for me to send to all of my friends. What the fuck is wrong with you? 

Comments

Popular Posts