Sobriety is the spice of life.

If you know me at all we have probably been drinking together. I like drinking. Quite a lot. Some people, they tend to be people in white coats shaking their heads at my notes, have suggested that I even enjoy drinking too much. But what do they know? Oh, science and stuff. Right.

Booze has been my boon companion my entire adult life. It has always been there for me - celebrating my many, many convincing victories and consoling me into velvety unconsciousness during my few, completely understandable, defeats. What a friend we have in boozes! It's delicious, life-affirming stuff. Of course it kills people, destroys relationships and lives and turns ordinary, decent people into monosyllabic thugs with bloody knuckles and a piss stain down the thigh. But it hasn't done that to me yet. At least not often.



When I am awkward in social gatherings kindly booze carries me through. When I can't sleep because my brain will JUST NOT SHUT UP, booze, like a half brick in a sock, coaxes me gently into slumber. Delicious booze was a staple of my live performances when I fronted a series of quite remarkably excellent bands: the slurred lyrics and confident swagger marked me out as front man who, surprisingly, never fell off the stage. Can Bono say that? I don't know what Bono can say.

Yes, booze has always been there for me - loyal booze, like a frothy dog. But I am not as loyal to booze. I am fickle. Because I'm giving up booze. For an entire month. Because as much as I like booze, and I feel I may have impressed upon you my fondness for intoxicants, as much as I like booze I fucking hate cancer.

So I am going sober for October. You may sponsor me if you wish. Give my sacrifice some meaning. That would be just great. Thank you.

Here's a link: https://www.gosober.org.uk/users/john-higgins-2

Comments

Popular Posts