Spine: Some Notes
I undersell my books. People ask me about them and I make jokes. I bat away interest. I apologise for them, as though they are an embarrassment to me. They're not. I've written three books and I'm proud of them, because they're very good.
No, it doesn't sit right with me. I DO believe this, but my social training won't allow me to say it, or even type it. So I've written these notes, so I can learn them and talk about the books, my intentions, properly. Ask me what the book's about, why I wrote it. This is what I'll say.
Spine
Spine is a book about having a bad back. Eventually, everyone has a bad back. We are inefficiently designed monkeys, with stupidly big heads and no tails to counterbalance them. If you were of an ancient astronauts bent, I would advise you to look no further than the cobbled-together, jerry-built nature (or nurture) of the human body. We're a mess. Paragon of animals? Parody of animals, more like it. We're a wonky shape and eventually we'll pay for that wonkiness in molten agony at the base of the spine, just about the spot where you got that tramp stamp in the 90's.
It happened to
me, the trauma not the tattoo, so I saw a doctor who prescribed Pilates and I
was enrolled in a six-week course with several other geriatric crocs, doing their
exercises in their gardening clothes. And, as I was wheezing and sweating
through a selection of incredibly basic moves, I thought this reminds me of
something. Being obliged to turn up week after week and suffering a series of
agonies on the off-chance I might improve myself? Remade and remodelled by the
hands of a plausible professional from the cruel-to-be-kind school? This is
just like my first book, Teeth. I could write a companion volume, with
illustrations, a glossary of terms, and a similar cover so the formatting is
identical. I started writing down sad-sack situations I found myself in,
attempting to improve myself, often while I was horribly hungover. Spine mirrored
the first book, being based around a series of appointments, but it contains
less jeopardy. In Teeth, actual bone splintering violence was permitted
against my person. There were questions about body dysmorphia, social
acceptance, and what bad teeth signify in culture. Spine was the mystery
of why a man who did not exercise, seemed constantly drunk, and spent all day sat
in front of a computer and all night lying on a sofa watching horror films, was
out of shape and corseted with agonies. Send for Jessica Fletcher! This book
wouldn't have the gristle and heft of the previous one. It was just complaints
about farting pensioners and having to wear sports attire in public. Who wants
to read that?
Luckily, some
twenty years earlier I shattered my knee, was admitted to a hospital that gave
me the MRSA virus, I had to stay there for several months over the summer, have
a series of blood transfusions and operations to clean my knee so they wouldn't
have to chop my leg off. It didn't heal properly, it's a different length and
shape than it was, and it causes me a lot of pain to this day. I suspect it is
the chief architect of my back problems, but I also have a big head and no
strong, prehensile tail to counterbalance it, though that is a problem I share
with all other human beings. I believe the actor Michael Brandon was born with
a tail, but I don't think it was very big. And I'm not sure he still has it.
Maybe Glynis Barber insisted he keep it. She likes tails.
So, there's
blood and disease and pain and trauma, and an alternative narrative strand from
my ex-girlfriend Chloe, who had to go through the whole ordeal with me. Well,
she didn't have to, but she did, which was very kind of her. And, on the
upside, I kept my leg, and I still use it today. It's never gone out of style. Chloe
didn't remember much but she was honest enough to say that the three stone I
lost in hospital, plus the newly ripped physique I developed from walking
everywhere on crutches – it's very toning – was her aesthetic preference. Sadly,
I moved in with my parents to recuperate when I got out of hospital, and the
first thing they did when I got home was buy me a bottle of champagne and a takeaway
curry.
Slender John
was already gone.


.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment